Haygrove School places a high priority on regular attendance and punctuality by our students. As a parent/carer you are committing an offence if you fail to ensure your child attends school regularly and on time.
All students should aim for 100% attendance with 96% as a minimum.
Students arriving late after the register has closed will be given an unauthorised mark which counts as an absence. The register opens at 08:40am and closes at 09:00am.
The Government classes all children with 90% attendance or under as being a Persistent Absentee. 90% attendance (10% absence) over 5 school years is the equivalent of half a year off.
As a parent/carer, it is a legal requirement to:
• Ensure your child comes to school every day, on time, fully equipped, in correct uniform and ready to learn.
• Ensure the school has up to date addresses and contact telephone numbers. We will contact you if your child is absent and you have not contacted the school.
• Contact the school on the first day of your child’s absence and for each day of absence thereafter. You must also provide an explanatory note on their return to school.
• Where possible, ensure that ALL medical appointments are made outside of school time, except in cases of medical emergency.
• Ensure that holidays are not taken in term time. Any Leave of Absence must be applied for in writing and can only be agreed by the Headteacher and only for exceptional circumstances. If Leave of Absence is not agreed, this will be marked as an unauthorised absence.
Things as a parent you can do:
Holidays in Term Time
Haygrove School follows Government regulations (amended September 2013). Therefore, absence as a result of holidays taken during term time will not be authorised unless there are exceptional circumstances. Parents need to apply in writing for holiday absence with details of such exceptional circumstances, in advance to the Headteacher for consideration.
As previously advised in July 2018 via our Facebook Page and the March 2019 edition of Heads Up, our School Attendance Policy has been updated and was agreed by Governors in February 2019.
Therefore, as of June 3rd 2019, if a holiday request is not authorised, a Fixed Penalty Notice of £60 per parent per child may be issued if your child’s attendance is less than 96% on return from the holiday and there have been at least 10 sessions of unauthorised absences within the last 12 school weeks. Early on in any new academic year, your child’s attendance from the previous year will also be considered.
Please see Parent Information Sheet and School Attendance Policy for further information.