In the Autumn term of Year 11, students should be researching which college courses they are interested in studying when they leave school. Apprenticeships and employment are also an option that can be considered.
Our local colleges are:
- Bridgwater and Taunton College
- Strode College Click here to view the Student Information Pack for Strode College
- Richard Huish College
- Weston College
- Exeter Mathematics School
- Exeter College
Of course, students can consider colleges further afield, but travel or accommodation will need to be taken into account.
Guide to T Levels - new qualifications starting September 2020 that combine enchanced work place learning with college based learning. T Levels are the equivalent to 3 x A Levels or a BTEC Level 3.
Time Table for College Applications
Dec Submit applications
Jan - July Students invited to interview at chosen college/s
Jan - July College place offered
July - Aug Welcome Day at chosen college
Aug - GCSE Results Day
Sept Enrolment and induction at college
Things to remember!
- Apply sooner, rather than later. Get your name in the system and get a date allocated for your college interview. The preferred deadline is end January 2022.
- You can apply for more than one course at a college, and apply to more than one college and decide for certain which is right for you after you have had your college interviews.
- Colleges require at least a Grade 4 (for 2020 entry) in both GCSE Maths and GCSE English Lang or English Lit to start a Level 3 college course. This requirement is likely to increase to at least a Grade 5 in future years.
- Some courses have additional qualification requirements - make sure you read the small print carefully!
- Put your most recent predicted grades on the application if you are asked to. School will provide the colleges with updated predicted grades as required.
- Students can apply online to all local colleges. If you do not wish to apply online, all colleges have a paper form that can be downlaoded from their website.
If you have any questions, or need any help - come and talk to Mrs Morgan, based in student services, at break or lunchtime.