Year 11 College Application Guide
In the Autumn term of Year 11, students should be researching which college courses they are interested in studying when they leave school. Apprenticeships and employment are also an option that can be considered.
Our local colleges are:
Of course, students can consider colleges further afield, but travel or accommodation will need to be taken into account.
Time Table for College Applications
Dec Submit applications
Jan - July Students invited to interview at chosen college/s
Jan - July College place offered
July - Aug Welcome Day at chosen college
Aug - GCSE Results Day
Sept Enrolment and induction at college
BTC Key Dates Information
Things to remember!
- Apply sooner, rather than later. Get your name in the system and get a date allocated for your college interview. The preferred deadline is end December 2018.
- You can apply for more than one course at a college, and apply to more than one college and decide for certain which is right for you after you have had your college interviews.
- Colleges require at least a Grade 4 (for 2019 entry) in both GCSE Maths and GCSE English Lang or English Lit to start a Level 3 college course. This requirement is likely to increase to at least a Grade 5 in future years.
- Some courses have additional qualification requirements - make sure you read the small print carefully!
- Put your most recent predicted grades on the application if you are asked to. School will provide the colleges with updated predicted grades as required.
- For 2019 entry, students can apply online to all local colleges EXCEPT Richard Huish Sixth Form College who require a paper application form to be submitted. If you do not wish to apply online, all colleges have a paper form that can be downlaoded from their website.
- Richard Huish College application forms can be downloaded from www.huish.ac.uk and should be returned to Mrs O'Halloran or Mr Dibble who will forward them to the college.
If you have any questions, or need any help - come and talk to the Careers Team at break or lunchtime.